[pct-l] Snowshoes sierras june / july

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Apr 6 15:14:35 CDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Stefan Popa <stefan.popa at gmx.net> wrote:
> I'm wondering if bringing my snowshoes is a good idea.
> Perhaps i can avoid postholing in the afternoons when hiking between two
> passes.
> What do you think ?

I think would be a waste of weight to carry snowshoes.

They are made for walking on loose snow, not the consolidated sun
cupped stuff you will be walking on. I've seen lots of devices (and
tried several) that were intended to prevent postholing, and never
found one that worked.

This is what you are going to be walking on, and post-holing in.
Snowshoes aren't going to be usable
http://climber.org/reports/images/1400/1487-ScimitarPassSatansSunCups.jpg

I would be interested in trying Snowfoot but it looks like they never
went into production
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SCtEcB4_4