[pct-l] Epic snowyear: K10 Crampons --> boots mandatory ?

Dale McDuffie dale.mcduffie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 19:26:41 CDT 2017

I just completed Fuller Ridge a few days ago with microspikes and poles.  The first mile or so and last two were the hard parts -- they had snow, whereas most of the middle is on the South facing slope and mostly snow free.  The footprints in the snow were almost spot on the trail per the HalfMile App Map View.  Sometimes it went above or below by a dozen or so feet but always returned.

I reached the start of the FR Trail at 2pm and arrived at the campsite at the other end near 7pm.  1mile-per-hour for that section because I was careful about foot placement.  No significant slips, but I did pass a couple of hikers without any traction devices that were struggling and had slit 10 or so feet into trees and had the scrapes to prove it.

I know several hikers behind me have completed FR too.

Dale