[pct-l] portable batteries and solar panels

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Wed Apr 26 08:33:25 CDT 2017

I used a SunTatics 5 solar panel and a 10,000 mha battery while on the longer stretches of trail. It kept my Samsung Galaxy 7, an inReach Explorer and my headlamp fully charged. Some days I mounted the solar panel on top of my pack and charged while walking. Other days I just brought it out at break times. Come evening time I would charge my devices from the battery as needed. I'm sure I could have gotten by with a battery half the size because everything was usually fully charged at the start of the last day of a 7 day stretch. Of course if the sun is not out the solar panel will not charge the battery nearly as quickly.

Ed Jarrett (Eeyore)
Web site: http://aclayjar.net
Twitter: https://twitter.com/EdJarrett53