[pct-l] portable batteries and solar panels

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 10:14:54 CDT 2017

I used an Solar Monkey Adventurer for nine days on the Oregon Desert
Trail last spring.  It includes a 3500 mAh battery as well as solar
panel.  It weighs about nine ounces, not bad for the battery and
charger.  Check out the customer reviews at the bottom of the Amazon page.

https://www.amazon.com/Powertraveller-Solarmonkey-Adventurer-SMA-U-003-Rechargeable/dp/B007ZN9B9Q

It was easy to strap to the top of my pack, and as I was hiking north, I
strapped it to face south.  The hinge was stiff enough to hold the
charger open.  I charged my phone each night and the battery during the
day.  I made sure that every time I stopped and took the pack off, I
angled the charger on the ground to face the sun.  This adds another
element to hiking - the "fiddling" part.

The only app I used during the day was GaiaGps.  Everything else was
turned off.  AT night I'd listen to podcasts for an hour or two before
falling asleep.

There were a couple days of cloud cover and the charger didn't do well.
When it was sunny I could fully charge the battery.  This was in early
April.  I think that the closer to the summer solstice you are, the more
efficient the charger would be.

Jeff

On 4/27/2017 8:26 AM, Herb Stroh wrote:
> I use a 6000mAh USB Battery SunTactics, weighs about 4.5 ounces. I get 3+ recharges of an IPhone with it. I have never drained it even on a two week trip. But I am only charging a phone.
>
> I know people have success with solar chargers, but I don't want to fiddle with them during my hiking day. With a battery, I just plug in the phone as I set up camp and disconnect before going to sleep.
>
> Herb

---