[pct-l] Echo lake to HW80/Donner pass_exit transportation

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Sat Aug 12 01:12:52 CDT 2017

I was doing trail magic there a couple weeks ago.  Three times,
thru-hikers decided to hitch into Truckee.  In total, they waited maybe
5 minutes.  It was a ridiculously easy hitch to get into Truckee.

I don't have advice for getting elsewhere from Truckee.  But the
Fiftyfifty brewery there is terrific.

Alternatively, you might just hike about 4 miles further to the
Eastbound I-80 rest stop and try to hitch a ride from there.  It's
harder to hitch at a freeway rest stop like I-80 than a popular
trailhead like Donner, but I bet most of the people at the Eastbound
I-80 rest stop are either going to or through Reno.

If you're having trouble hitching from the rest stop, you might go to
the Donner Summit Snopark that's about 0.3 miles west of the Eastbound
rest stop via a trail.  It's less busy, but it's a trailhead so the
people there are more likely to pick up a hiker.

  -=Town Food