[pct-l] Fires for the overall good of the forest

Rob Langsdorf sdscpcts at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 16:41:05 CDT 2017

     Years ago I backpacked through a forest fire. It had been started by a lightning strike and had only burned about 500 acres in a month. But I have also seen Southern California fires that have burned over 10,000 acres in an afternoon. Controlled burns can be helpful to use up fuel during the spring when the fires won't burn as hot.
     One other problem I see with fires is that the snags overhang the trail, so the NF won't reopen the trail. Also a hot fire can result in stone work failing. I believe that this is the case where the Mountain Fire burned miles of the PCT at the north end of the Desert Divide. How many more years will it take for that segment of trail to be reopened?
     Mataguay Connector