[pct-l] April 2017 Thru Hike

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Feb 1 16:59:41 CST 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Todd Cantor <tcantor33 at gmail.com> wrote:
> All valid points. I am picking up snowshoes, mountain gaiters, an axe and a GPS at KM.

Showshoes will be unused dead weight in the Sierra for an April start.
You will be walking on consolidated snow. Any fresh snow will be a
small enough quantity that you won't need snowshoes. Sun-cups and
postholing will be your issues, not fluffy powder. Your real issue
will be the creek crossings.

Unless you have decided on a road walk from Idyllwild to Black
Mountain Campground, and also skipping Baden Powell, I would pick up
your ice axe in Idyllwild. If the trail is open between Hwy 74 and
Tahquitz Peak I would pick it up in Anza. If you don't want to carry
it across the desert, mail it to KM from Agua Dulce.

HYOH, YMMV
Have fun