[pct-l] Steep Snow Travel

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:32:28 CST 2017

It’s been a while since I’ve read Freedom of the Hills, but there’s definitely some debate around the benefit of a leash on consolidated snow or glaciers. Tumbling down a hill with an ice axe attached to you but not under control tends to result in puncture wounds. This could be worse than the terrain trap you’re attempting to avoid.

FWIW, the last time I had a yard-sale skiing, I lost my ski but not my poles (and I don’t use straps here, either). I wouldn’t underestimate the ability of the body to grasp onto things under stress.

Cheers,
Armstrong