[pct-l] Wasp Spray

Robert L Geib bob_geib at mac.com
Fri Feb 24 16:54:46 CST 2017

For consideration, whereas Bear Spray is an "irritant" and specifically designed for it's intended use, the suggested alternative of Wasp Spray is not bear-friendly.  It is a poison.

As we teach the Boy Scouts going to Philmont, and area where there is an extremely high bear density (approximately 1 per square mile), the recommended bear procedures are not just about your safety (the boys), but also about the safety of the bear.   Once you get the hang of them, pun intended, they become a nightly ritual.

--> Link: http://www.sccovington.com/philmont/trek_info/bearInformation/bears_procedures.htm

For anyone unfamiliar, this simple guidance is well proven to protect both the camper, and the bear population.  What I would substitute in this case, especially in areas where hanging is a problem or where you are unskilled, is to use a Ursack.  Not only is this useful for bears, but for those other little forest friends whom are even more likely to poach you dinner.    I've used one for years, and they are efficient, and have a minor weight penalty (versus loss of your supplies).

Here is an example from REI.  https://www.rei.com/product/895691/ursack-s293-allwhite-bear-bag
- Bob