[pct-l] Walker Pass Bus Stop

Marian Harmon marianharmon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:01:35 CST 2017

Yes, there is a sign. Also, all of the locals and bus drivers are familiar
with the stop. Kern Transit is VERY hiker friendly. All you have to do is
tell them where you want to get off and they'll drop you. If you get a
particularly nice driver and the bus isn't full, they will also pull in to
the Walker Pass campground just down the hill if you plan to camp there
first. But, not all of them will to do that. I know one who, if they know
they have hikers on the bus, will ask them if they want to use the bathroom
at the campground first and offer to drop them off right in front.  It's
not a long walk, though, from the pass bus stop. Quick fact, Walker Pass is
also the law enforcement cutoff boundary between Kern Valley and
Ridgecrest...so it's common to see KCSO and CHP officers parked at the top
there. It's not unheard of, if the timing is right, for them to give you a
ride either into Lake Isabella or down to Ridgecrest. But again...that's
random and depends on the good graces of the officer.

And FYI... in Ridgecrest, the new WalMart Supercenter opened last fall, so
if you need an extensive resupply, that may be something to consider.
However...because of the high snow this year, Lake Isabella is bursting at
the seams and the rafting on the Kern is top notch. The good news is that
you can catch the bus either direction... or very likely a ride from a
local. We're all very familiar with hiker season up there. :)