[pct-l] how's the PCT in SoCal?

Todd Cantor tcantor33 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 19:40:01 CST 2017

Hi Guys,

I am Idyllwild today and it is pouring rain in town so I stopped by the state park office and caught a look at the web cam from the Long Valley Ranger station (8000ft) and it was snowing consistently all day long. The snow is supposed to continue through the night. Don't have any precise measurements but the Dave the state park backcountry ranger was up to Wellman's last Friday and he indicated that he turned back because the route finding was problematic above Wellman's.

Without getting into the gory details I just wanted to reiterate what Ned has already stated. This year Fuller Ridge is going to be pretty dodgy. Micro spikes and poles might cut it for the brave and/or experienced but as the snow melts and freezes and that Ridge turns to mostly ice hiking crampons and an arrest device are advisable. Slipping and sliding off Fuller Ridge is um......seriously problematic aka deadly.

Apparently, yesterday SAR pulled two folks off the mountain from the summit hut who had been fine going up but felt the need to call in a rescue to get down. The party in question had hiked up from Humber park and the weather yesterday came in pretty fast.

I guess my point here is that San Jacinto and more than likely the Berdo's and Gabriel's above 7K are going to be challenging this year for anyone leaving before say mid May. And even then Fuller is likely to be pretty sketchy.

So, for what it is worth please do not overlook the So. Cal Mountains. San Jacinto is a real mountain with real objective hazards. Fuller Is no BS for five miles. According to the NFS ranger they rescued two to three people a week off the Ridge last year.   I guess the net-net is think about the gear you choose to bring.

Needless to say, I did not go up solo today, but I am looking forward to some snowshoeing on Deer Springs and the PCT tomorrow assuming it lets up.

Cheers,
Todd

Sent from my iPhone