[pct-l] My first post since 2003

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Mon Jan 16 22:34:40 CST 2017

I wanted to add another vote for Altra Lone Peak + Injinji toe socks.
I've had lots of blister problems in the past, but that sock/shoe
combination pretty much solved them.  They're also able to securely hold
Dirty Girl gaiters, which would be handy on the section you're hiking,
to keep the dust and rocks out.

On the downside, the sole on the Lone Peaks is very thin, and rocks in
the trail would hurt me after a while.  Adding aftermarket insoles
helped -- I liked the Sole brand insoles the best.

Avoid the Lone Peak 2.0 model, though.  It's waterproof, and doesn't
breathe well.  It's old, but still in stock in some places.

It's important to note, your feet will change size as you hike --
usually they grow about a full size.  This can make it hard to figure
out the right shoe and size ahead of time.  It might be a good idea to
start with old shoes, and buy new ones at the store in Mount Laguna --
they have excellent selection and expertise.

And, by the way, IMO Idyllwild is a much nicer end point than Warner
Springs.  Idyllwild is a neat little mountain town with lots of nice
places to stay and eat.  The facilities at Warner Springs, on the other
hand, gave me ringworm.

 -=Marcus