[pct-l] Shoe size, type, yet foot expansion while backpacking?

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:10:51 CST 2017

The super nontechnical explanation is that your feet flatten out (basically, rapid aging). This changes stress patterns on your bones and can cause fun. I suffered a stress fracture and the remedy was stiffer shoes and insoles with better arch support (recommendation by a podiatrist, not the internet).

Coming off the trail, I had a pair of ski boots that didn’t fit. I went to the boot fitter and he simply formed some insoles (I previously had none in those boots) and the result was my foot box fit similar to how it used to.

FWIW, my shoe size only increased by a half size on the trail. I have also backpacked at least a week a year for most years since I was 13 so the increase might have been less than someone who had no such prior use. Also, since the trail, unless I’m cycling or going someplace super fancy, I always wear my trail runners so there is no distinction in trail vs non-trail shoe for me :)

Cheers,
Armstrong