[pct-l] Section Hike

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Wed Jan 18 18:32:25 CST 2017

Claire--

I have section hiked most of those miles over the last few years. Yes, I agree, this is a great section to hike. As noted by Scott, this would appear to be a normal to high snow year so passes and water crossings will require attention.

A possible downside is that north of Beldon/Sierra City could have some really warm days for you by the time you get there. It might we worth considering soutbounding Oregon border to KM. You will still have some snow in the northern section but much less to deal with heading south through the Sierra. Plus hiking south bound the scenery just keeps getting better and better, with a crescendo at Whitney. Note, that you will be heading into the herd--which means you will probably see a lot of thrus but not really spending time with them except in trail towns. If you want the community side of the trail, then KM to Oregon border is a better direction.

Herb