[pct-l] Section Hike

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:41:12 CST 2017

Going southbound would also be fine, as is flipping, as you're starting at
the right time for that section, but you can still encounter snow in
Northern CA in late June and Early July, just like in the Sierra.  If you
have the flexibility to decide closer to your start date, you'll be able to
follow the melt out and start at whichever end is better.  And,no matter
what the snow looks like right now, given a couple of Pineapple Express
storms (very warm) or just an early spring, the snow can be gone in a
matter of days, or a few weeks.  So trying to predict the depths right now
is a good game, but not very dependable.  The year I hiked, the spring just
never came and in June we had snow from the High Sierra to Canada in all
the  mountains.  Several friends of mine who flipped north, had to back out
after 50 miles as the blow downs and deep snow was just too much.  I hooked
up with some wonderful folks and we did 5 weeks over the Sierra, mostly in
snow, and it was some of the best backpacking any of us have ever done.

Keep some flexibility in your plans and go for whatever is best when you're
ready to start.

Shroomer