[pct-l] Quick Sierra snow thoughts (series)

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Jan 19 23:08:53 CST 2017

Ok, I'm back from Mordor (one helluva trip, but it worked out)! Those who
are my friends on Facebook will know what I'm talking about.

"Snow Pack thoughts" will be a series of responses to the stuff you guys
have been talking about over the last week or two that I've been out and
about.

Current snowpack observations, Kirkwood to Donner, should be of no
surprise.there's deep snow out there and more falling as I speak!

What does this mean to the April, May, June, or July backpacker of the PCT
or JMT?

You still walk on top of it!

April:     The pack should be consolidated by then, so walking on top of it
will be a breeze. Know your snow skills! Watch for my trail condition
reviews starting mid-April for the southern Sierra. Anticipate the chance of
late season snow storms dumping up to a few feet of snow and know what to do
and not do during and after such an event. Snowshoes may be wanted for
powder snow, should you get some, but after it's consolidated, you won't be
using them. Bring cold and wet weather gear, boots with stiff edges and
heels, a day or two of extra food, a 3-season tent (at least), a self-arrest
pole like the BD Whippet, snow glasses, and hiking crampons (just to name a
few required things). Anticipate glissading off the passes (major rush!),
assessing and maybe utilizing snow bridges (know how!), enjoying walking on
smooth snow without postholing, and not worrying about creek crossings.
Snowline could be as low as 8,500 feet.

May:      All of the above, or at least until the thaw starts, and
anticipate more sunshine and the decreasing chance of new snow. Snowline
could be as low as 9,000 feet.

June:     All of the above until you've heard that the thaw has started,
then you can anticipate suncups, postholing, collapsing snow bridges, really
slippery snow, and roaring creeks. The nights are still just above freezing,
unless the thaw is intense, so the morning snow is usually hard enough to
hold your weight till about noon. Get off the snow by then (over the pass
and down the other side to dry trail). Once the thaw starts, the pack melts
out big time.unless there are a lot of clouds, wind, or late season snow
storms. Last May, the thaw started late, around the 25th, but with a fury,
melting out nearly 4-5 feet of snow the first 10 days! Nevertheless, the
snowline could be as low as 10,500.

July:       (After a heavy winter) Anticipate soft, slippery snow even early
in the morning (0500-0900) with postholing happening about mid-morning
instead of closer to noon in June. Suncups will be huge and deep with soft
bottoms prone to postholing. Snowline could be around 11,500-12,000.

August: Though we haven't had a "normal" winter in the Sierra for maybe 30
years, we certainly haven't had a "heavy" one for even longer, but I do
remember them! August used to be the time of "normal" summer backpacking
where the snow would only be on the north sides of the passes and only up
high on the last switchbacks where it was the steepest. It could be like
that this year, but who knows. Prepare for it, just to be safe.

Ned Tibbits, Director

Mountain Education, Inc.

ned at mountaineducation.org <mailto:ned at mountaineducation.org>