[pct-l] Jan 11th CA Snowpack Chart

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Jan 19 23:24:26 CST 2017

>From what I hear in my ski patrol circles, that big rain event causing
serious Sierra run-off and lowland flooding a week or two ago didn't
obliterate the prior snowpack back to dirt as forecasters feared. The
snowpack was already incredibly deep and just absorbed it, for the most
part, of course. This rain event in early January caused huge overloading
(with water weight) of the existing pack resulting in huge avalanches!

Weathercarrot showed that the Sierra around 1/11 had roughly 150-190% of a
normal snowpack with 10 weeks to go (to April 1st)! Remember, the 2011
snowpack ended with "only" 200% on Donner April 1st (I think! I'm not a
statistician...) and we called that a "heavy" winter!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
ned at mountaineducation.org