[pct-l] Snow snow snow. Let's go!

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:56:05 CST 2017

All good stuff Ned.  By far, the river crossings were the most dangerous
passages that I've ever done on any of the trails.  Lightning at 13,000 and
14,000 feet is right up there as far as danger, but the river crossings in
high melt out are by far the most dangerous.

One thing to know when coming to a really full stream, is that there can be
a tremendous difference between the depth of the water in the late
afternoon with the depth in the morning.  Overnight, the temperatures
usually fall below freezing and the runoff slows down considerably.  With a
nice sunny California mountain day, the snow melts creating torrents and
waterfalls where they don't usually exist, and streams get deeper and
deeper all day.  So, if you come to a really dangerous crossing in the
afternoon, and can't find a safe place upstream to cross, camp on the bank
and try again in the early morning.  Nothing like ice water first thing in
the morning to get you running down trail to warm up.

We camped on the bank of the Tuolumne River in Lyle Canyon.  In the late
afternoon the banks of the river were overflowing into the meadows.  By the
next morning the river had dropped about 3 feet. Huge difference.

The whippets and other devices look good, but I still prefer an ice ax and
found plenty of times when plunging the shaft to belay was the only safe
thing to do on steep traverses on the PCT and the CDT.  But the whippets
look good, I just haven't made the switch.

As for hiking cramps, the Kahtoolas I used in 2010 were my favorite piece
of gear for the summer,  they were so solid. Much better than microspikes.
I have their original aluminum spike cramps, which friends have had trouble
finding lately.  I talked to the Kahtoola folks last week at the Outdoor
Retailer show in Salt Lake City, and learned that they have fazed them out
in favor of steel spike hiking cramps, which although only a few ounces
more, are much better at staying sharp.  It seems too many people were
walking over rocks in their aluminum cramps and dulling the metal.  I think
they got tired of replacing them.  Anyway, they're all steel now.  But,
again, my favorite piece of gear in a high snow year.

Shroomer