[pct-l] Powerhouse Fire Closure

Mel Tungate mel at tungate.com
Wed Jan 25 13:00:43 CST 2017

The PCT is closed from mile 478.2 at San Francisquito Canyon Rd. north to approximately mile 492.  Agua Dulce is at 454.  So, you can stay with Donna, walk 24 miles north, and stay with the Andersons ( if they both are open ).

The closed section has had an extensive amount of work ( I was part of the many many work crews of what is called the Trail Gorillas ).  The trail in the closed section has been extensively rebuilt and cleaned up for all 14 miles.  We ( they ) were close to saying it was ready - only a few sections need minor attention.   The closed trail has been inspected after our hard rains ( and snow at the PCT level ), and a work crew is going out this weekend.   Any additional rain / snow might put it off for a few weeks.

The crews for part of the cleanup were joined by a trail machine - basically a small bobcat.  That makes everything move very quickly.

If you want my guess, probably early this year.  But, I am a long way away from the chain of command.  I am just a gorilla.  My guess is just a guess.

I have to drive 250 miles to get there, so I have only been there a few times.

So, stay tuned.

When the section from 478 to 492 is too snowed in, the gorillas cleaned the trail from 454 to 478, and also from 492 to 518.  We relocated one small section, repaired multiple washed out sections, and just cleaned up the path in other places.  Those sections have remained open.  In addition, there is one hiker that goes out to those sections and works on his own almost every weekend until it gets too hot.

Mel