[pct-l] hanging food

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Thu Jan 26 12:57:00 CST 2017

I know many just sleep with their food in all but mandatory bear can areas. But there are some sections of the PCT that have significant bear activity, but do not mandate a can. It is a good idea to have the tools and skills necessary to be able to hang your food in high-risk areas. Plus, the loss of food is not only an inconvenience to you--ultimately it could result in destruction of the bear.

The old method is counterbalancing, which is a bit trickier but still very doable. Many use "The PCT Method" which is easier to do. See it described here: http://theultimatehang.com/2013/03/hanging-a-bear-bag-the-pct-method/ Although technically it may not be legal in areas that specifically call out for  counter balancing, I don't think the dangling line from the PCT Method poses any additional risk of food loss.

This reminds me of an old joke we use to share back before bear cans were invented and a good counterbalance hang was the only way to protect food. After accomplishing the task and meeting the height and distance guidelines, one of us would inevitably look at the other and say, "now THAT is what I call WELL-HUNG."

Herb