[pct-l] Total Eclipse of the sun, 8/21

Jack and Barb jackandbarbpct at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 09:37:45 CST 2017

There will be a total eclipse this August 21st and it passes right over the
PCT in Oregon!  Many thru hikers should be in this area during the eclipse
(we passed through on 8/29/11) and if necessary, race ahead or slow down to
be in the zone of totality on 8/21.  Two important things to consider.  1)
 You must be able to see the sun.  If you are in deep tree cover or it is
overcast, it will only get real dark and then light again.  2)  If you are
not in the "zone of totality" you will not experience the glorious sight of
a total eclipse - no eye protection required.
Here are my crude calculations.  Totality starts at about 10:20 am Pacific
Daylight Time.  The sun will be at an altitude above the Eastern horizon of
about 40 degrees.  The zone of totality extends from about Mt. Washington
(mile 1990) on the southern fringe to about two miles North of Timothy Lake
(mile 2074) on the upper fringe.  The center line of totality runs a bit
north of Mt. Jefferson, say mile 2030-32.  At Mt. Washington you will have
totality for about 48 seconds.  At the center (near Mt. Jefferson) about 2
minutes and up near Timothy Lake, about 1 minute. We saw our first and only
total eclipse in '98 (Venezuela) and are planning to get to this one, but
likely more Easterly than the trail.  We remember, the breeze died, the
birds stopped chirping, darkness came and the stars and planets appeared.
It was a once (or twice!) in a lifetime experience!  Finally, never look at
the sun without a proper filter, before and after totality, or anywhere out
of the "zone".  Get a pair of cheap, very lightweight, cardboard, eclipse
glasses. Carry them with you and check out the partial.  TJ