[pct-l] SNOW

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Mar 3 22:38:21 CST 2017

Hi, Bethany!

Creek crossing shoes need to protect the feet and skin and stay on the foot during nasty crossings. The sole needs to be durable, the upper needs to protect the sides of the foot, and the closure has to be reliable (cord-lock or tie). That's about it.

This design is what I'm using at the moment and best demonstrates the design I'm talking about:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/BODY-GLOVE-MN-DYNAMO-FORCE/1953364.uts?productVariantId=4022588&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04037559&rid=20&gclid=CLaympiCvNICFYS1wAod2SwPoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Self-arrest poles do double duty for the snow hiker,
1. Prevent slip-and-falls by helping maintain your balance (as any pole would do), and
2. Allow you to immediately deploy the self-arrest pick into the snow to stop any sudden tumbles (if you know how).

We love the Whippet because it's always ready, in your hand, all the time and it doesn't have a hinged pick. You don't have to know a ton about risk recognition to know when to use it. Great for the summer hiker out on the snow.

Much of the snow safety stuff we publish to help hikers can be found here
https://www.facebook.com/mountaineducation/

Did that answer your questions?

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.