[pct-l] Fires

Scott Diamond scott.diamond.mail at gmail.com
Tue May 2 15:47:24 CDT 2017

No that is not a nice e-mail. Worse though, it is factually inaccurate.

I've heard these overarching statements by some that "alcohol stoves are
banned from the PCT!".  Anecdotally, last summer when getting a ride up to
Walker pass, I was picked up by a ranger and former forest fire fighter.
She indicated that there was not any ban on alcohol stoves.  I had heard
that Sequoia has restrictions and I did a quick Google Search.  The webpage
states that for designated campgrounds
<https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/nature/fire-restrictions.htm>"propane,
alcohol (with and without a shutoff valve) and tablet/cube stoves are
permitted". And this is all the way up to level 3 (extreme).  The
additional restrictions for backpacking
<https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/minimum-impact-restrictions.htm> do
not mention a shut off valve.  If someone has some verifiable objective
evidence showing otherwise then please post it. I'm open to learning.

It is a free country and you are welcome to express your opinions. We could
lecture each other on the evils of Walmart, buying bottled water,  or other
issues but I'd suggest that lecturing people in this manner, while it may
make you feel better, is very ineffective.

   - Rover