[pct-l] Fires

Scott Diamond scott.diamond.mail at gmail.com
Tue May 2 16:31:45 CDT 2017

PCTA Website
<https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/backcountry-basics/fire/>

   - Campfires are generally not allowed on the PCT in Southern California.
   Only the rare developed car-camping campground, with official fire
   amenities, allow fires. The fire danger is too extreme, and population
   centers too at-risk, to allow fires.
   - Alcohol stoves and twig stoves can be dangerous since their fuel
   source is not contained and there is no positive shut-off. Stories abound
   of people burning picnic tables, themselves and starting forest fires when
   these stoves blew or were knocked over. It is likely that if campfires are
   prohibited, alcohol and twig stoves will be banned as well.

The above statement is not in line with your post in which you stated "You
are only allowed to use a backpacking stove with a shut off valve."

My intent is not to turn this into a "flame war". I hiked the PCT without
making a campfire and I don't see the need to make fires in the
backcountry. But I'd argue that these extreme posts, basically yelling at
people, are very ineffective.

  -Rover