[pct-l] Fires

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:00:32 CDT 2017

Thanks, this is helpful.
I don't doubt the good intentions of those railing against campfires and
alcohol stoves. I've hiked through all the burn areas in the SoCal PCT and
it sucks and is gut-wrenching to see beautiful landscapes turned into
Mordor scenes.

But I've also been backpacking for 50 years now and have used every kind of
stove there is. White gas stoves - which are pressurized, and usually
require priming with a cup of gas that can easily overflow - scare me way
more than alcohol stoves. Upright canister stoves are inherently unstable
and scare me too.

A far better approach than creating an evidence-free fatwa against alcohol
stoves is to insist that everyone clear out a 2-3 ft radius of flammable
material from their stove. This rule is far more logical, enforceable and
effective than trying to parse minute differences in danger from different
stove types.

Drew