[pct-l] South Washington PCT Questions

pctl at marcusschwartz.com pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Wed May 3 15:06:21 CDT 2017

1. There were some mosquitoes in the evenings when I was there in
early September.  My guess is that it'll probably be significantly
worse in early August, and in a wetter year.

2. Last I heard (which may have changed since September), Road 23 was
closed somewhere west of the PCT.  So, it's currently a road from
Trout Lake to nowhere.  So you don't see a lot of through traffic.

Fortunately, Trout Lake is maybe the most hiker-friendly town on the
trail.  They've set up a phone number you can call to get a ride from
one of the town's many trail angels.  They'll drive out and pick you
up.  There's cell phone coverage about 2 miles south of the road, but
*NOT* at the road, so be sure to check Halfmile's app (or your phone's
signal strength).  The town has a section of their website with more
information (including the phone number):
http://troutlakewashington.com/pacific-crest-trail-hiker-information/

During the height of PCT season, you might be able to hitch without a
phone call, just because so many PCT hikers are coming through, so
trail angels may be there anyway.  I think early August is probably
too early for this.

To hike back, you can ask around at the general store, or at the
restaurant/gas station, or just stand in the middle of town and stick
your thumb out.  It's not unlikely that someone will talk to you and
offer a ride.  In my case, someone actually approached my group the
night before and made an appointment to drive me back to the trail the
next morning.  They really, really go out of their way to help hikers
here.

I'm not sure which road Paint Your Wagon was talking about as the more
southerly route.

3. I can't remember.

As for places to stay, I personally enjoyed the bed and breakfast.
It's more expensive than the general store's spare rooms, but it's
plush and nicely-decorated, and altogether a nice blast of
civilization in the middle of a fairly remote part of the trail.  I'm
a sucker for that kind of thing.  Anywhere else it would be a great
deal for a nice place to stay, it's just that Trout Lake likes hikers
so much you might be able to stay cheaper elsewhere.

 -=Town Food