[pct-l] Fires

James Vesely veselyjames at gmail.com
Wed May 3 20:26:22 CDT 2017

We might be losing sight of the fire through the trees.

Fire has  always been a part of a healthy forest and as we all know the
suppression of forest fires caused the predicament we are now in. Native
American Indians created fires to keep the land and Meadows clear and
naturally started forest fires such as lightning strikes self regulated the
build-up of combustible materials and the kept the tree density low.  The
current situation is not sustainable and sooner or later there will be
large canopy fires  whether started by man or not that burn so hot  they
cannot be extinguished.  Sure, walking through a burnt-out forest is not
picturesque but it is more natural than most of us know.  We need to see
fire as nature's way of balancing the ecosystem.

Jim