[pct-l] Fires

Gary Schenk gary_schenk at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 09:47:27 CDT 2017

On Wed, 5/3/17, Drew Smith <jdrewsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [pct-l] Fires
 Cc: "pct-l @backcountry.net" <pct-l at backcountry.net>
 Date: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 7:24 AM

 No question that there have been
 many fires in CA over the last decade. But
 before sending down commandments from on high,
 how about a little data to
 inform the
 conversation?

 How many
 fires have been attributed to backpackers? To long-distance
 hikers?

http://www.postholer.com/faq.php#Fire%20safety
 "It's a sad reality that more than a couple major fires have been started by careless thru-hikers over the years. The importance of fire safety cannot be over stressed. A few notable fires:

    2008 - Apache Peak fire started by thru-hiker who extinguished cigarette butt on stump.
    2006 - Mission Creek fire started by poorly located alcohol stove in windy conditions.
    1997 - Angeles National Forest fire caused by hiker burning used toilet paper."

You know, we all like to complain about mountain bikers and dirt bikers using the PCT. We go on and on about how they should respect the rules. Well maybe we should respect the rules, too. In Southern California that means no campfires outside of developed campgrounds.

Gary

 .