[pct-l] FW: Trail Conditions in Section G

Jim Banks JimLBanks at verizon.net
Fri May 5 17:12:36 CDT 2017

I just completed a little 30 mile section hike from Walker Pass Campground
to Chimney Creek.  I sent a water report to the PCT Water Report, so you can
see that as soon as they update.  From Walker Pass to mile 669.4 the trail
is in good condition.  A trail crew has been through there and cleared all
of the downed trees.  From mile 669.4 (which is the second crossing of
Spanish Needle Creek) to mile 680.8 (Chimney Creek) there are over 100 trees
across the trail.  Most are not small enough to just step over.  Most
require you to climb uphill or downhill to go around them.  This really
slowed me down.  I usually hike at about 2.5 miles per hour, but through
this 11.4 mile section I only made 1.75 miles per hour.  So if you go
through this section before the trail crew gets back in there, be prepared
to take longer than normal to hike this stretch.  In my opinion a horse
would be unable to get through this section.

I-Beam