[pct-l] Tehachapi Pass to Landers Meadow

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Sun May 7 17:55:51 CDT 2017

The water report shows Golden Oak Spring in good shape this week,
and no complaints about trail conditions, and the weather report
indicates a rather cool week ahead.    So the timing looks propitious
to cover the piece from Jawbone Canyon Road to Tehachapi Pass soon.
In 2004 it took me two days but in my old age I'm allowing three
and planning to carry more water for two dry camps.    I don't know
if Golden Oak Spring is the most critical natural water on the whole PCT, but
it's right up there near the top of the list.    I hope some
superbloom is still going on around the 6000' level.

As usual for section
and day hikers the car shuttle is the hardest part of the puzzle.
Last year Jawbone Canyon Road was impassible south of Robin
Bird Spring so I will come at it from the north again.
At the other end, I'm thinking parking the other car at the PCT
trailhead a mile south of Tehachapi Pass might be a better bet than
in the large clearing near the freeway next to the railroad.

At least I don't have to climb over the 100 trees currently down
north of Spanish Needles.  I had that pleasure last year.   The Gorillas were
clearing them though even as I went through.
I hope they've already been through Golden Oak Spring this spring.

I'm signed up to redo Northern Yosemite around Labor Day this year.
Hopefully it will be a walk in the park by then, instead of a slide or swim
over the park as it would be now.     The biggest irreducible problem on
the PCT is Glacier Peak - I will try to reduce that one on Labor Day next year,
hoping the coming winter snow will be less bountiful.    I can't see how to do
it in less than 74 miles - the intermediate access trails and bridges
apparently have never been rebuilt after the flood.    But that's why they
call it a wilderness.

David Hough
http://pcnst.oakapple.net/bits/resources.html