[pct-l] Glacier Peak

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Mon May 8 15:58:57 CDT 2017

> Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 17:37:35 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Barry Teschlog <tokencivilian at yahoo.com>

> Which parts of Glacier Peak do you think require 74 miles?  As a side note, for general hiking up there, you don't want to do Glacier until well into July in a typical snow year, with August or even early September being better choices.
>
> It's only 40 PCT miles, give or take, from the North Fork Sauk trail junction to the Suiattle River Trail Junction - this encompasses going on and over Glacier Peak proper (Kennedy Creek, Fire Creek Pass, Milk Creek, Vista Ridge, etc) .  Each of these two access trails is 7-8 miles, so you're looking at about 55 miles trail head to trail head to "do" Glacier Peak.
>
> From the Suiattle to Stehekin, including the access trail, it's about 40 miles, TH to bus pick up.  This is a very pleasant 4 day / 3 night hike in late August / early September (just did this last year).  This "gets" the north part of the Glacier Peak Wilderness and crossing over Suiattle Pass, the valley of Agnes Creek.
>
> From Stevens Pass to the N. Fork Sauk junction is about 35.5 miles.  Add 8 more to head out the Sauk and you're looking at about 43.5 miles TH to TH.  This will bag the south part of the Glacier Peak Wilderness, plus

Thanks for the good ideas.

The Suiattle Trail 784 sounds like a winner, 7 flat miles to the PCT.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5150570

North Fork Sauk Trail 649, not so much at the moment - 8.4 miles and 3000'
but more to the point, the access road 49 is closed due to a slide, it looks
like about 7 miles from the trailhead.    Maybe this will get fixed by
August, if they can get to it faster than they repaired the PCT Suiattle
River Bridge.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5150593
Still, 55+7=62 miles is better than 74.

My original plan featured east side trailheads (they came out better in 2003
than the west side) and a night in Holden.

I'll update my web page accordingly.    Anybody else interested in the
problems of hikers intermediate between whole section hikers and dayhikers
is welcome to suggest improvements to the web page.

David Hough
http://pcnst.oakapple.net/bits/backpacks.html