[pct-l] Belden to Old Station late June

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Mon May 15 13:26:57 CDT 2017

I hiked from Castle Crags south to Chester last year starting around June 10.

A few areas had been cleared, and I passed crews hard at work to address the remainder. Nevertheless, there were still some lengthy sections that had plenty of downed trees requiring extensive practice of "deadfall yoga". The forested sections are generally not in areas of difficult terrain, so there was always a reasonable means to get around the obstacle. Once or twice I had to hunt around to regain the trail, as several trees fell not across but on the trail, obscuring it for some distance. It did slow me down and had me picking sap off of my hands and pack for the rest of the trip, but there was nothing hazardous. Reduce your miles per day estimates a bit and you should be ok.

Herb