[pct-l] Jerks

Rob Langsdorf sdscpcts at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 19:19:24 CDT 2017

This time of year the grass has just done a fast growth shoot. Places where trails were easy to find 6 weeks ago are covered in foxtails that will turn brown this week and stick in the socks. But with 50 people a day walking over the PCT these should be beaten down fairly quickly.
I have been working on some trails in a scout camp. They are generally in good shape, but the foxtails have to be cleared or the scouts will hike the roads instead of the trails. So it takes a lot of weed whacker work. Also, there have been lots of trees that have fallen in recent weeks. Trees that have died due to the drought and the golden oak beetles.
With all the rain the poison oak has popped up in places where we thought it was gone.  It is really hard to keep up trails this year.
       Mataguay Connector