[pct-l] Campfires

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 12 12:06:14 CDT 2017

It's time to start talking again about campfires.
Uninformed PCT hikers and those with antiquated ideas about backpacking have been making fires along the PCT. Just because you have been issued a Calif fire permit does not mean you can build a fire. It simply means you can have a backpacking stove. Except at yellow post sites and established fire rings in  campgrounds no fires are allowed in all of Calif   Even in those places unless conditions are correct you cannot make a campfire. That means 10 ft in diameter cleared area,no wind,no over head branches a shovel. etc etc. etc
Unless you are under threat of hyperthermia a fire is inappropriate. I know that it makes some people feel safe and cosy. No comment about the so called need for Somemores. No one who builds a campfire thinks that theirs will cause a wildfire. I have put out so many campfires that others have thought were out. I've had to drag big logs into rivers more than once to put out a fires that were burning so deeply in the heart of the wood. That was after pouring liters of water on the embers.  I'm sure the hikers who walked away from these campfires ,thought they were out.
Yes,Mosquitoes are difficult. That does not give you permission to have a campfire.
Just as we now carry out our TP. Part of leave no trace is to stop making nightly campfires. That includes the Sierra. Please read the websites.
None of us would leave trash out there. If we start talking about this now the word will be out among the 2018 hikers. This is the next step in caring for our forests.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone