[pct-l] Gear/Resupply questions

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 15:04:41 CDT 2017

On gear - think of gear as a system.  Each part has a place within it.
Do you want to wear running shoes if your basic pack weight sans food
and water is 20 plus pounds?  Do you want to cook food, or can you go
without hot food and water?  If you're going to routinely carry 40
pounds, do you want to carry a pack designed to carry 30 or less?

Are you comfortable trusting your experience and ability to make choices
in highly stressful moments?   If so you'd likely use a tarp, running
shoes, a 19 oz pack, a 20 oz quilt/bag, etc.  Basic pack weight would be
between 8 and 12 pounds, or so.

There was a guy - Warner Springs Monty - who hiked one year 10 years ago
with a base weight of five pounds or so.  I don't remember what he
thought after his trip.  There's a facebook group on lightweight
backpacking safety that explores this kind of stuff that he's
administrator of.

Or are you relatively inexperienced with trips longer than a couple
weeks, and think of gear as your primary buffer against weather, snow,
terrain?  Everything will weigh a bit more.  The 20 - 25 lb basic weight
becomes more realistic.

When hiking up and over little pass above Packwood Glacier in the Goat
Rocks in 20 mph wind and mist so thick it's like rain, are you savvy
enough to stop and get in your sleeping gear and warm up before starting
to shiver uncontrollably?  Or do you think you'd just try to hike
through it, shivering be damned? Are you willing to look for a safe
crossing of a snowmelt fed creek, even if it takes an hour and a mile of
hiking upstream to find a crossing that is safer than the one at the
trail?  Or will you plow ahead?

When a situation gets tense and emotions are high - fear is real and
present, do you calm down and rationally assess what's happening, or do
you wind up with the fear and tension and make impetuous choices,
believing you can make it by will alone?

Are you willing to abandon your "plan" in the first week of hiking?  If
you develop foot problems from heat or not having broken in your
feet/shoes, are you willing to step off the trail for a week, or slow
down to have what you've planned?  Or do you think you'll put your head
down and power through it hoping everything will work out - often what
happens is the choice to get off the trail is made for you?

For many cost is a factor.  That said, you can make a lot of your gear
if you have the patience and time, or get stuff off craigslist and ebay.

Read one of Ray Jardine's books on hiking the PCT.  You'll get a heavy
dose of opinion based on experience, but most of it makes sense.  Even
tough the books are 20 years old, the perspective is still valid for
those who don't have a lot of long distance experience.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Hikers-Handbook/dp/0963235923/

Jeff
Laramie, WY