[pct-l] Gear question

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Sat Apr 21 13:27:50 CDT 2018

My impression was that ground sheets were necessary to prevent damage to
the tent floor (since most are so thin now they could easily be damaged)
and to trap moisture/condensation from the ground so it doesn't soak
through your floor.  Having a ground sheet that only covers part of your
floor wouldn't do either of those well.  (That said, I've never
experimented with this, so I don't know if that's really the purpose of
ground sheets, I just always used them unquestioningly...)

Also, I had a surprising amount of difficulty keeping my ground sheet
from blowing away at certain points on the trail.  I had to weigh it
down with rocks very often.  In fact, near Squaw Creek in the Sierras,
my ground sheet blew out from under my pitched tent, with rocks on its
corners, and all my gear inside the tent resting on it.

So, if the ground sheet were smaller than my tent footprint, then I
would've had to sleep on rocks, or let the ground sheet blow away.

  -=Marcus