[pct-l] Water is heavy

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 17:23:46 CDT 2018

I get a big kick out of hikers that penny pinch on carrying water, yet , to
each, their own.

As a bumbling rookie, I carried 2 gallons of water with me EVERYWHERE.

As an upper class graduate, I carried exactly one liter of water at a time,
in southern Washington, and ran out three days in a row, prompting me to
have to hike an extra 10 miles at the end of each planned day's hike, to
resupply from a water source. DAMN!

Guess what?

I'm hiking... now- season seven, and I'm outfitted with EMPTY water jugs,
that will permit me to carry AT LEAST 2 gallons of water if conditions
require it.

Nothing new under the sun.

PS

Ancient Chinese secret:

One can carry a gallon in each hand, getting the weight off of their back.
And, because the water is handy, it will get consumed faster than if on
one's back. And, the second benefit is that one will be aware of the
weight/water penalty, and will be motivated to consume the water, at a
faster rate, than if tucked away in a backpack, which will
encourage/accelerate proper hydration.

Been there, done that.

Best regards,

Paint