[pct-l] Stevens Pass to White Pass SOBO

Michael Wade mdwvansd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:39:46 CDT 2018

Awesome report. Loved your remember-it-forever moments. I hiked the same stretch nobo in early July. The fire you mentioned was last year’s Norse Peak fire. Not the most pleasant scenery. I was surprised to see trees destroyed by fire that only went maybe an eighth of an inch deep, if that.

Not much water either through that burn. Somewhere, I think it was the halfmile app, I read there was water at Martinson Gap. Nope. Should have carried more in that stretch.

Most of you are probably thru-hikers, but as a section hiker (who gleans what he can from here. This email list is a great source), I’ve come to think that the second half of July is the sweet spot. Every year is different, but that seems to thread the needle between snow and fires. Also, much less traffic. I saw two (SOBO) thru hikers the entire hike.

I enjoyed the many forest groves (countless, all good), and the view of Rainer a few miles north of Chinook Pass. Took my breath away when I turned and suddenly saw it. But I was disappointed by the many views of clear cuts, logging roads and power lines. Section L, from Rainy to the border, spoiled me.

I’ve deleted this paragraph, but I’m going to put it back in. Just thinking out loud okay? Walking thru the Norse Peak burn (really destitute and ugly) and with the onset of the megafires each year, made me wonder if we should allow more logging. There’s a forest ecologist from Oregon State U. giving a Ted Talk on youtube about this, explaining controlled fires are what the Indians used to do. Before white men started their policy of always putting out forest fires, old photos show forests with trees of many different sizes, and more open meadows. Now the forests have trees that are all identical in size. He says allowing a little more logging would help cut down on fires, and money raised could be used to manage our forest better.

Then I got to the Windy Ridge burn, (1988 I believe), with the sign on the trail explaining the fire was caused by ….loggers!  I don’t have the answers, But walking through last year’s forest fire made me wonder: doesn’t it seem like the agencies fighting fires could do a better job? I live in Washington and the health problems in the cities go up quite a bit as the smoke blankets the state for days and even weeks at a time. I believe they are doing the best they can. The USFS budget, for example, keeps getting cut, no matter which party holds the White House.

Like I said, just thinking out loud. Slash and burn me if you will, but I’m hoping this is a more mature crowd than Facebook. Maybe this upsets some. My apologies if that is the case. Like I said, I didn’t like the views of clear cuts and logging roads either. I would appreciate intelligent responses that help me better understand this. For those who are interested, here is a link to the Ted Talk: Link

On a perhaps a friendlier note, I was setting up my hammock one evening, near the intersection of two logging roads when two elk came crashing off the PCT into the intersection. I had left my scent on the trail leading to my camp. Mama elk was running right towards my camo tarp in the trees, when she froze maybe 25 yards away. I froze too, curious if she would figure it out. She did and took off in another direction. I assumed some hikers coming my way flushed them out, and I kept setting up camp. When no one appeared, I decided to hang my food. That night, I heard footsteps a few feet from my head. Twice I heard my guy lines get hit. I think I’ll hang my food from now on.

Before night fall though, a dune buggy came flying along the road. Good example of why the Wilderness Areas are always my favorites.

My biggest takeaway, personally, is to slow down. I pushed too hard. Reading your report, it would have been great to stop earlier and camp at Ulrich Cabin. It must have been unforgettable. I spent too much time staring at the trail.

Going NOBO those last 7.5 miles to Snoqualmie, after already doing 15 that day was absolutely brutal. All downhill on loose rock, snow, mud, and sometimes even streams. Mostly loose rock, and going downhill on that really did a number on what were already sore knees. Easily the worst stretch of the PCT I have encountered so far (in Washington).

My best part: suspended in my hammock each night, serenaded three nights in a row by bugling elk.

Those remember-it-forever, had-to-be-there moments, are why we do this. Can’t wait to go again!

Michael