[pct-l] Fwd: (pct-l) Next Long Trail?....and Other Spectacular Hikes

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Dec 30 18:26:52 CST 2018

Sorry about the scramble in the prior
[pct-l] Next Long Trail? *Brick Robbins*brick at
brickrobbins.com<mailto:pct-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bpct-l%5D%20Next%20Long%20Trail%3F&In-Reply-To=%3CCALV1NzmFLGV-d1LML1QDYKVyJHj7F8pJYut%3D3N7Wr%2B4fqTmLJg%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
/Sat Dec 1 15:33:16 CST 2018/

This makes me want to head south.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/chile-opens-1700-mile-hiking-trail-connecting-17-national-parks

Yes Brick,
Chile's new 1,700 mile "Route of Parks Trail" through 17 national parks
from Puerto Monttin in the North to Cape Horn in the South, which was made
possible by the donation of millions of acres of land by conservationist
Douglas Tomkins and his wife will be, without question, one of the most
spectacular "Long Trails in the world and as a result, hopefully, reduce
the traffic on our overcrowded, beloved PCT.
Having recently spend some time in New Zealand I would like to point out
that New Zealand has spectacular mountains worth hiking.
And, there is also our own Hawaii with some spectacular and challenging
hiking opportunities.
I know some of you will say "what is so challenging about hiking on a
sandy beach in the shade of Palm Trees?
I say there is more to Hawaii than just sandy beaches and Palm Trees.
Kaua'i, the little Island is home to Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon
of the Pacific.
Hawaii, the big Island is home to Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, the tallest
mountains in the world.
I can hear it already..."does that fool not know that Mt. Everest is the
tallest mountain in the world"????
NOT SO!!!...Mt. Everest is the highest above sea level, but rises only
11,929 feet from its 17,100 foot or base to a total elevation of 29,029
feet above sea level.
Mouna Kea rises 33,464 feet from its foot or base, 19,668 feet below sea
level, to 13,796 feet above sea level.
Mouna Loa rises 32,768 feet from its foot or base, 19,668 feet below sea
level, to 13,100 feet above sea level.
So you see Mt. Everest's summit is higher above sea level only because
its foot or base, where the mountain actually starts, is already 17,100
feet above sea level While Mouna Kea's & Mouna Loa's foot or base, where
they start is 19,668 feet below sea level.
So, in realty Mauna Kea and Mouna Loa are much taller than Mt. Everest
but Mt. Everest's summit is higher above sea level only because of the
difference in height of their foot or base where the mountain begins it's
rise.
I am sure you guys understand that why, when I realized the above, I just
had to climb those mountains.
So, if you guys should want the satisfaction of having climbed the tallest
mountains in the world, head for Hawaii.

BTW...another good thing about hiking Hawaii,...after you come down from
the mountains you can relax in the shade of a Palm Tree on a sandy beach,
slurping Margarita's and watching bikini clad surfer girls strolling along
the beach...much more pleasant than rolling around in the dirt drinking
river water.

WORD OF WARNING!...watching bikini clad surfer girls can be very stressful,
especially to older 78 year old guys like me...and Switchback.

JMT Reinhold
Your stressed out trail companion

---