[pct-l] Section A advice

Susan Virnig susanvirnig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 15:17:08 CST 2018

Dear PCT-L,

I am hoping to start at the border sometime in mid-March and hike north 100-200 miles.  How’s the water situation in the desert, and would it be better to start even earlier?  But then what’s the snow conditions around Mt. Laguna and in the San Jacintos?  Do you need micro-spikes?  Or is it simply too early to try to hike thru them?

I’ve been section hiking since the late 70s and have hiked the entire trail from Echo Lake north into Canada, with the exception of a 40 mile stretch that I will complete.  This time I’ll be hiking solo, tho there’s a slight chance a friend may join me.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

—Susan from Spokane, aka Sunshine