[pct-l] Photos & Captions

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Sun Feb 25 03:33:47 CST 2018

For landmarks, assuming these are digital photos, there are a couple
ways that I know of.  JPEG files usually have extra data attached to
them in a format called EXIF, and that data can sometimes be used to
figure out where the photo was taken.

First, and easiest, some cameras have GPS receivers (or other location
sensors), and will attach your location data to the photo in an EXIF
tag.  Most smartphones do this by default.  This data can later be read
by appropriate software.  E.g. I've heard of software that will put your
photos on a map according to where they were taken -- I haven't tried it
myself though.

Second, digital cameras that don't have GPS will normally at least have
a clock, and put the time and date of the photo in an EXIF tag.  If you
have a record of where you were each day (e.g. I wrote down my mileage
according to the Halfmile app each night), you can infer which stretch
of the trail the photo is from.

And lastly, when you're not sure where you took a photo but have some
guesses, you could always just google those guesses and see if they look
like your photo.

I'm afraid none of that is much help for identifying hikers, though... I
too wish I'd taken down who was in which photo (and taken more photos of
people and less of scenery).  I've always wished cameras would let you
record a short voice clip with your photo, e.g. "Picture of Mike, mile
2352".

  -=Marcus