[pct-l] Stove less

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 12:15:36 CST 2018

We just need to educate people. In some parts of the San Bernardino mtns camp fires are allowed at yellow post sites. This is still under certain conditions only. They are never allowed on a fire permit in any area where there is not a ten(maybe 20 can't remember for sure)foot in diameter clear space, if there is ANY wind, you must have a shovel and a way of putting out the fire---buckets of water or dirt. Do any long distance hikers ever have any of those things? Building a fire and having a stove is a responsibility. You arrive at a camp spot late in the day. You leave early in the morning. You are tired. Especially in the beginning 500 miles of the trail you tend to be a bit overwhelmed and pushed to the edge of your abilities. Those of us who have been out there a lot have put out many so called "out" fires. These were clearly made by backpackers and thru hikers (who thought the fire was out).  Because those are the only people out there so far from a road.
Making campfires is going to go the way of leaving trash on the trail. We wouldn't even think of doing that. I hope the PCT thrus will be in the forefront of this step in direction of caring for the trail.
I have my fingers crossed in hopes we don't have any more fires. Let's not add to the fires started naturally,over which we have no control. Over 80% of wild fires started in the U.S. are caused by humans.
Marmot
Sent from my iPhone