[pct-l] Stove less

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Jan 10 13:07:15 CST 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Gary Schenk <gary_schenk at verizon.net> wrote:
> What do fire rings have to do with camp stoves?
> ******************************************************************************************
>
> It's evidence that many PCT hikers cannot be trusted with fire. Like Candace, I see many illegal fire rings on the PCT. It's not cool.
>
> On the AT they have a communal fire every night at the shelters. When they come out west they continue the tradition, and why not, they don't know the reality of the conditions out here. Fifteen people died yesterday as the result of a human caused fire. With the conditions existent in the southern California mountains we all need to be careful. We all need to get the word out about fires, whether campfires or stove fires.

I do not see how stove usage is evidence that "PCT hikers cannot be
trusted with fire" and I still don't see how fire rings have anything
to do with stoves.

Also, as a resident of Southern California, who frequents the PCT year
round, not just the thru-hiker season, I can assure you that the vast
majority of the use the trail gets is not from thru-hikers, but from
weekenders, hunters and day hikers. The proximity of Angeles NF to Los
Angeles gives easy access city folks who have no clue about things
like Leave No Trace, Fire Safety or even cleaning up their own
garbage.

The weekend after the opening of Deer Season here in San Diego
country, much of the area around the PCT is littered with fire rings,
spent shell casing, and empty beer cans. I avoid the backcountry on
Opening Day. A person just can't wear enough orange to feel
comfortable.

While I support education, and "getting the word out," it will require
outreach to the non-hiking population, not demeaning messages telling
thru hikers that they can't be trusted with fire.

IMHO.