[pct-l] Stove less

Candace Frederick candace at jfred.net
Wed Jan 10 19:39:37 CST 2018

Yes, I know not all (and maybe not even very many) thru-hikers or day
hikers, or what have you, have no respect/intuition for where they are and
what could happen. However, there are enough to cause concern. My mention
of fire rings earlier was because fires are not allowed and yet I see them
all the time. None of them are near water or have a 10 foot clearance
around the. Which, to me, means that even though stoves are banned, they
will be used.

Just because you are competent enough to not start a fire with your stove,
there are probably 20+ people who aren't. Stoves can malfunction as well
and I think this is more what the worry is. Accidentally kicked or blown
over, or even leaks, or the seal isn't tight... who knows. We just have so
much fuel after hardly any rain, the forest service doesn't want to risk
it. There are lots of beginners and people who just don't care out there. I
think it's up to the experienced people to help educate and set an example
- to PCT thrus, hunters, day hikers, and whoever else will listen.

I'm sorry so many responsible people feel offended by the conversation
about our fears of fires. Like many things in life, we have to cater to the
lowest common denominator. I mean really, who would eat the silica gel
packets or use a dry cleaning plastic cover as a toy for a child. Some one
thought that was a good idea.

After all this - I hope everyone has some happy hiking this year!