[pct-l] So there I was... staring into a PCTA Contact us *Message dialog box

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 14 13:40:28 CST 2018

This Long distance hiker is responsible for one scorch ring on the floor of the AT shelter just north of the Mahoosec notch(Stover creek?). That was when I was just learning. Tired, dragging in with an overfilled pack, I put too much fuel in my commercial alcohol stove and thankfully did not burn down the shelter.  I blew it badly and only having a bit of luck didn't have an even worse result.
A good number of new hikers (on every trail)are having trouble even putting up their tents. There is a reason for the multiple stove and fire bans---which change all the time.
If one can't put up a tent(tarp), it falls on you or blows away. Not packing enough food means you get hungry.
An improperly used stove or a campfire can burn down thousands of acres of brush and forest. That could kill people and will kill animals. The mud slides after a fire can kill even more. The forest can burn so hot that it collapses the trail--threatening hikers and horse packers.
It has been shocking to see the burns on the trail. Where there where lovely trees to rest under ,out  of the sun, I see low ground cover and stumps. I didn't do the trail in the early years. I can only see what has happened from 1994 to the my last time out there in 2015.
I hope that the class of 2018 does not add to the problem
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone