[pct-l] Stove less

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 06:09:46 CST 2018

Hmmm, has anyone ever tried to heat food with those chemical hand warmers?

 Subject: Re: [pct-l] Stove less
 To: "Gary Schenk" <gary_schenk at verizon.net>
 Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
 Date: Friday, January 19, 2018, 11:22 AM

 Here is a new option for going
 stoveless, but still having hot meals.
 Someone has improved on the concept of the MRE
 heater system to make a
 portable silicon
 food heating system (Heater and reusable dish all in one)
 https://newatlas.com/yabul-cook-flameless-camping-cooker/53004/

 Tim Crum

 On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 7:38 AM, Gary Schenk
 <gary_schenk at verizon.net>
 wrote:

> [...]
 stove usage is evidence that "PCT hikers cannot be
 > trusted with fire" and I still
 don't see how fire rings have anything
 > to do with stoves.
 >
 > Also, as a resident of Southern
 California, who frequents the PCT year

 round, not just the thru-hiker season, I can assure you that
 the vast
 > majority of the use the trail
 gets is not from thru-hikers, but from

 weekenders, hunters and day hikers. The proximity of Angeles
 NF to Los
 > Angeles gives easy access
 city folks who have no clue about things
 > like Leave No Trace, Fire Safety or even
 cleaning up their own
 > garbage.
 >
 > The weekend after the
 opening of Deer Season here in San Diego
 > country, much of the area around the PCT
 is littered with fire rings,
 > spent
 shell casing, and empty beer cans. I avoid the backcountry
 on
 > Opening Day. A person just can't
 wear enough orange to feel

 comfortable.

 > While
 I support education, and "getting the word out,"
 it will require
 > outreach to the
 non-hiking population, not demeaning messages telling
 > thru hikers that they can't be trusted
 with fire.

 IMHO.

 > ***********************
 >
 > Brick, you are right,
 of course. But a lot of the fire rings I find are
 > where PCTers camp. Most hunters don't
 even get out of their trucks! :-)

 > There was a fellow on the trail a few
 years ago, forget his name, who was

 posting a journal. I removed a couple of his fire rings. All
 illegal. Even
 > after putting a post on
 his journal guestbook suggesting that the fires
 > were not cool, he kept on.
 >
 > There's a series
 of youtubes posted by a woman who thruhiked last year. I
 > didn't view all of them, yet saw at
 least three illegal fires in the

 Angeles and Kings Canyon. Not to mention setting her tent up
 next to a
 > small stream in the southern
 sections trampling riparian habitat. And she
 > was an "expert."
 >
 > Most hikers can be
 trusted with fire, I agree, but as the trail population
 > increases so does the number of those who
 can't.

 > Which
 of course has nothing to do with a stove ban.

 > Gary

 > All content is copyrighted by the
 respective authors.
 > Reproduction is