[pct-l] a couple questions: section WA-J in mid-September

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:46:38 CDT 2018

The second half of September is dicy in terms of weather, but I'd be
prepared for the worst.  Summer weather in the PNW begins to shift into
autumn weather, which means the possibility of winter storms, right around
the end of August.  That doesn't mean that's what you'll get, but the
likelihood of big storms is greatly increased even in early Sept.  But, you
can get lovely summer/Indian summer weather as well.

In 2010, I finished the PCT into Manning Park, on Sept 17th.  We'd had
constant rain for the 2 weeks prior, and friends of mine who finished 2
days after me, crossed into Canada in a substantial snow storm, on Sept
19th.  Then other friends who were really late, finished in early to mid
October in lovely weather.  Go figure!

I rehiked WA in 2011, because it's just that darn beautiful, and at the
same time of year, and we had lovely weather for the whole month right into
mid Sept.  But after my  experience in 2010, I carried all the rain gear I
could.  I just never had to use it.  So, it's a crap shoot, but I'd be
prepared that late in the season in the Cascades.

Good luck on a wonderful hike!

Shroomer