[pct-l] a couple questions: section WA-J in mid-September

Peer Böhm pmb379 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:54:06 CDT 2018

Thank you, all who have responded. Much appreciated.

Verizon it is, then. Also seems to fit in well with where I am going
afterwards - we will be visiting with my wife's family near Colville
(where I will, if all goes well, touch on the PNT for a couple of
days).

Haven't heard about Dana Yelverton before. Packwood Glacier is about a
hundred kilometers south of where I am starting. I have hiked in the
Alps before, even though it's been a while. I do know a bit about some
of the precautions to take, just not about the specifics of the region
in the Cascades. Glacier walking would definitely be something I would
try to avoid at this point.

Black flies, slow but persistent ... I know about those, and their
bites are worse than mosquitoes, if they are the same as what I am
thinking about. There in season right now, here. :) So, proper
bugnetting is is, even if it means more weight. I want to enjoy the
journey ...

If the weather can truly turn nasty, and with some amount of
likelihood, I probably better bring the bigger, more robust tarp, not
the summer tarp. As I said, I want to enjoy, not just barely survive.
:) Already ordered some nice, warm down quilts, which will be waiting
for me in the big city, nearby. :)

And probably a proper jacket too, instead of just a rain jacket. All
that will mean one an quarter kilogram more weight, but oh well, I
guess. I'll just pack in a bit more food, so I can take my time ...

Thanks for the hints and pointer, again, everyone. Looking forward to
this experience!

Regards,
Meister Grimbart