[pct-l] Trail magic sites in Washington

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Wed Jul 18 20:03:46 CDT 2018

The picnic tables at Hart's Pass could make it logistically easier.
Seating can be the most bulky item when you're doing trail magic, and if
you don't have a large vehicle, bulk can be a major constraint.  I think
you may have hit my trail magic at Highway 40 / Donner last year, and
you might remember the tiny stools and flimsy folding chairs I was using
-- they were about all I could fit in a Honda Civic, and even that was
awkward.  If the site you choose has picnic tables, that can make
logistics a lot easier.

Hart's Pass being the last stop before (or first stop after?) Canada, it
could be fun to theme it after Canada or the US.  I hiked some drinks up
a spur trail to the PCT a couple days ago, and the hikers told me about
someone who was doing trail magic in the Sierras earlier this year who
dressed as an RCMP Mountie and pretended to be inspecting Canada entry
permits.  Much fun was had.

That said, I wouldn't expect many thru-hikers to be in Washington in
August, except perhaps the Southernmost parts near the end of August.
That would be too early for any Northbounders who aren't racing, and too
late for Southbounders, wouldn't it?

Anyhow, good luck and have fun!

 -=Town Food