[pct-l] Fwd: a couple questions: section WA-J in mid-September

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:17:36 CDT 2018

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: marmot marmot <marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com<mailto:marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com>>
Date: July 17, 2018 at 4:37:14 PM PDT
To: Peer Böhm <pmb379 at gmail.com<mailto:pmb379 at gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] a couple questions: section WA-J in mid-September

I hiked that section twice. Once in Sept ---hitting Manning Park Oct 1st. It rained once. In late Aug it never rained. It really depends on the year. Honestly. Look at closer forecasts. I had no high winds. Did 25-29 mile days.
There were no mosquitoes. It depends on when the melt happened. So pay attention to melt in Aug or early Sept. If there is snow. Then there will be mosquitoes --if not---probably not. Loved that section.
You go up high and stay up there a lot. Beautiful meadows. Mtn sheep--goats.  Pretty comfortable elevation gain and loss
My experience is that AT&T means no service ever anywhere. Ever!!! People who I've talked to are happier with Verizon. Maybe someone else has direct experience with it.
Hit the Goat Rocks early in the day because you do not want to kill yourself getting through the fog, ice,old snow impending dark etc to a place to set up your tent   I've made that mistake twice. I think it is in that section.  Hope I did not transpose it. It's that Glacier near where Dana Yellverton died of hyperthermia. Just remembered the name. --Packwood Glacier.
Have a great hike
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone